Monday, November 23, 2009

To infinity & beyond: 2010-2019

So for the third & final post I have to predict the future, right?  Personally I'm hoping for more babies, a puppy, probably a move to some rural idyll where I can keep chickens (but still find a decent 'latte').  I'd love to build a house designed by my husband - he has some great ideas for an eco-house so I can imagine us getting quite heavily into sustainability & self sufficiency!  



















I'd really like to take another big trip with my family - perhaps back to Iran or maybe a road trip across the US - we'll see.  Career-wise, a couple of music projects to get my teeth into, perhaps starting a small classical music festival somewhere.  

Politically I fear we may see a Conservative government in power before too long.  Seeing how any government deals with climate change will be key - how will our energy needs be met and how will this effect the environment locally & globally?  What legislation will be brought in to force change?  Sadly I've no idea who will shape the next decade politically but I hope they introduce themselves pretty soon!

I'm not quite sure where the Olympics will fit into all this.  We're led to believe that our huge spend will leave a great legacy, that the event will be wonderful for London and the rest of the UK, but I can't help thinking the budget cannot be justified.

I suppose our economy will recover from the recent collapse over the next few years but I hope that there will be a growing trend for sustainability in economic terms too.  There's been a huge emphasis in our country (as well as others) on economic growth and the production of wealth, but what's it for?  If we all lived with more of a social conscience then perhaps people's lives and our stewardship of the planet would be more secure.  

Finding solutions for the issues around climate change must surely be high on the list with regards to technological innovation.  Can we find solutions for feeding our growing population without further compromising the environment?  Can we reduce or even reverse the effects of deforestation?  Can we develop viable energy solutions?   What about Peak Oil?  This seems to be a massive issue for us - the recent news from whistleblowers at the IEA is really worrying - this isn't just an economical issue but very much sociopolictical one too.  

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ 

I read an article on genetically modified microbes which ate biomass and excreted crude oil - the stuff of science fiction it would seem but if it's true, this kind of development will surely shape our future?  

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4133668.ece

I suppose there's hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment